The Virginia Statehouse located in Jamestown burned in 1698. The Burgesses decided to move the colony’s government to Middle Plantation (later renamed Williamsburg). The new Capitol building was completed in 1705.
The Capitol Building is located at the eastern end of Colonial Williamsburg. Shaped like an “H”, this building includes the House of Lords (left side of picture) and the House of Burgesses (right side of picture), connected by a conference rooms in an arcade connecting the two halves of the legislature. This construction meant the conference rooms were “neutral territory” between the two houses of legislature. Multiple fires have burned the Capitol down (in 1747 and 1779), so what we see today is the third structure at this location. The capitol was relocated to Richmond VA in 1780, and the second capitol building was eventually torn down. Today’s building, was constructed in the 20th century, is a partially accurate representation of the original building.
In the General Court room, the Justice would sit in the high chair on the dais, with the jury seated to his side. The prosecutor and the defendant’s attorney sat together at a separate table from the accused.